Skip to main content
Read page text

ABOUT THE CITY

About the City with

Peter Bourhill

Summer opening in Summer Place Powderhall Bronze Editions in Summer Place recently threw a par ty to celebrate its opening. www.powderhallbronzeeditions.co.uk

Attention all horologists! The historic London Road clock has returned to its home at the top of Elm Row, after 15 years in storage and following full restoration, as par t of the Trams to Newhaven project. The clock began life on Waverley Bridge in 1857 and was moved to the West End in 1896 before finding a permanent home at the roundabout on London Road in 1955. The clock was removed in 2007 during the original tram project and is now being replaced as Trams to Newhaven nears completion. Specialist clockmakers Smith of Derby carefully restored the clock, priming and repainting all par ts, hand painting ornate features in gold and repairing the Coat of Arms of Edinburgh, including casting a new deer from aluminium.

David Eustace, Lucy Caster, Kerry Hammond, Brian Caster, Andy McDougall and Phill Jupitus

Fit for a King’s visit

Museums & Galleries Edinburgh has rediscovered two key objects relating to the visit of King George IV to Edinburgh in 1822. While sor ting through stored items, curator Helen Edwards found two delicate silk rosettes (one with a silver saltire and thistle) and bearing the texts “Welcome to Scotland” and “Welcome” respectively. Helen saw the link with the famous royal visit, but some museum detective work was needed to find out more about these items, involving a trawl through decades of documents, inventories, lists and letters.

It has now been established that these rosettes (or cockades) were worn by hundreds of gentlemen attending pageants or audiences with the King, but their fragility has meant few have survived. The rosettes now sit alongside items like a commemorative plaque, silver badges and lamps for illuminating houses, all indicating the huge effor t that was made to welcome the first reigning monarch to visit Edinburgh in nearly 200 years. Read all about George IV’s visit on pages 22-24

EdinburghLife September/October 2022 4

My Bookmarks


    Skip to main content