the pit with those of the surrounding bailey, but it seems likely that by phase Y it had gone out of use as a cesspit. Its filling was sealed and levelled with clay and a clay floor inserted at about 4 feet 6 inches below ground level. Its use can only be imagined. A succession of oval pits cut into the floor suggests that it might have been a room for prisoners, the pits being urinals.
The more or less level interior of the bailey was separated from the bailey rampart by a gulley which presumably served for drainage. The principal building on the rampart was a D-shaped tower which succeeded the square tower on the bulbous end of the rampart at its junction with the motte ditch. Other small rectangular and parallelogrammic structures lay on the inner slope of the rampart, but there was no sign of the main palisade. Large areas of
Cleaning the preserved sill-beam of the earliest motte bridge (1070-74).
burnt clay and stones suggest that some, if not all, of the buildings were destroyed by fire.
The layout of the bailey was completely replanned for the last occupation, phase Z. The chapel was replaced by a small rectangular building whose axis lay at right angles to that of the chapel, and which extended over the post-holes of the motte ditch palisade. The new bridge was very narrow, probably only the width of a plank; the floor of the former cesspit was overlain by an arrangement of stones which contained a post-hole but no other indication of their use ; and the rampart buildings were replaced by flimsier structures of uncertain form. The variety of timber building techniques used is remarkable—the use in the later phases of very shallow post sockets with traces of sill-beams lying directly on the ground implies a transitional stage in the 12th-13 th centuries between structures with buried foundations and the fully