The three most complete urns from the Itford Hill cemetery: left, a plain urn from cremation 9, with a single lug. Centre, cremation 10, the finest urn, with a zone of incised decoration, and handles. Part of the rim of this urn, standing separately at the foot, was found in the settlement in the previous excavations. Right, cremation 11, an exceptionally ugly urn.
out as a lump, taken home and dissected in comfort. It was thus quite clear that only two-thirds of the pot was present. Part of the remainder of the pot was subsequently discovered at Lewes Museum, for it had been excavated 20 years previously in the settlement a hundred yards away. It had indeed been illustrated in PPS 1957 (Fig. 24A). The fabric, filler, form, decoration and disposition of reduction patches all agree, thus providing clear evidence that the cemetery was indeed the burial place for the settlement.
A remarkable feature was the extensive flint knapping which had taken place. Old excavation reports sometimes talk of an orgy of flint knapping, and something very much like this would appear to have happened. Not only was the ditch filled predominantly with struck flakes and wasters, but the cremation platform embodied a large quantity. It is estimated that there were some 40,000 in all, 30,000 of them in the ditch and barrow and 10,000 outside the barrow. Of these only 33 could be classified as scrapers, a further 54 as cores, while utilised flakes were not uncommon. The remainder were simply struck flakes. A selective metrical analysis by Richard Bradley suggested that on no objective criterion could the core and flake types be distinguished from those of the late Neolithic: in dimensions they were identical, and the only differences were subjective ones of workmanship. This is an important confirmation of the continuity shown by the pottery. Two small areas with hammerstones present lay just outside the barrow to the east and south.
A confusing element was the appearance of a