has science has been pitted against documen-
tary research, for in 1427, Toppes would have been only 22.
A very similar hall house to that at
Dragon Hall was uncovered during the exca-
vations at Ben Burgess & Co. Here was another example of a flint and mortared main hall, separated by a screens passage from the street-fronting service end. Another post-
medieval coin weight was recovered during the excavations, together this time with a set of balances. This particular building survived until it was demolished by The City of
Norwich Corporation in the 1930s. After the war Ben Burgess, an agricultural merchant,
developed the site commissioning as his showroom a minor Modernist work which was set back from the street frontage in deference to the City's 1945 guidance.
Coin weights dating to the 76th or 77th centuries. These foreign weights - and the scales right-
were used to verify English coinage.
Below. The Ben Burgess site. In the foreground is the beam slot to an 77th century building running parallel to the King
Street frontage, now lined with post-medieval buildings.
The most important medieval building on
King Street was undoubtedly the Austin Friary, which was established immediately to the north of Dragon Hall around 1290. By the mid 14th century it may have covered
1.75 hectares (4 acres). Unfortunately the below-ground remains of the Friary were extensively damaged when Watney Mann Ltd erected their storage building. The site is now being redeveloped again, this time under the name St Anne's Wharf.
Excavations are ongoing and outside the brewery building buried walls have been found surviving to a height of a metre or more.
The most extensive excavations to date have been just outside the northern perimeter of the brewery building, alongside the street known as Mountergate. This work has been of particular interest because in the 1970s various people, including the late Alan
Carter, suggested on the basis of street and parish southern characteristics boundary that the possible of a Late Sax on burh could be predicted by the line of
Mountergate. The big question was therefore whether any archaeological evidence could be recovered to support this. The discovery last year of an east-to-west medieval road,
almost certainly a common lane (seephoto oppositepage)which had followed the outside perimeter of such a boundary but which had been enclosed when the friary was extended in the 14th century supported the interpretation without providing definitive proof.
Following the Dissolution of the monasteries,
the friary became an ornamental garden for