to greatness The Old Dock
How Liverpool grew
Above Caption to go in here over a few lines donec cursus est eu orci. Phasellus dignissim laoreet sem nam venenatis purus est consequat
In 2001, an evaluation by Oxford Archaeology North in Liverpool rediscovered a structure that had been the catalyst for the growth of a small sleepy town into what became the second largest port in Britain.
All photos: Oxford Archaeology North, unless otherwise noted
In 1207, when Liverpool received borough status, it was a small market town with a castle alongside a shallow tidal inlet called the Liver Pool. Yet, this Pool provided very poor access for ships, as it was prone to silting up and was made treacherous by strong currents.
Over the subsequent centuries the town hardly grew, reflecting its limited maritime prospects, and would likely have remained so had it not been for the entrepreneurial spirit of some local merchants who, in 1707, came up with the idea of constructing an enclosed wet dock within the Pool. It was paid for by archaeologycurrent