these things are clues to the lives of the people who lived and worked around the dock and who sailed in and out of the port.
The docks begin to multiply The success of the Old Dock resulted in a dramatic increase in trade, which led to the need to build further docks in order to accommodate it. The solution adopted was to build docks out
Above The present state of the interior of the Old Dock Information Centre, showing the quayside wall on top of bedrock.
into the Mersey, forming an artificial shore from reclaimed land. In front of the entrance to the Old Dock, two docks were constructed: on one side, a dry basin, and on the other side the Salthouse dock.
The dry basin, constructed in 1737-1740, was intended to provide a sheltered haven where ships could moor up while they waited for high tide to enter either the Old or Salthouse docks,
The new Museum of Liverpol site
Work on the new Museum of Liverpool began in 2007 on the Mersey waterfront at Mann Island, within Liverpool’s World Heritage Site. Until the late 18th century, the site lay within the Mersey estuary, but by the 1780s the land was being reclaimed as Liverpool’s fast-growing dock system expanded into the river at Mann Island.
The museum site contained part of Manchester Dock. Constructed as a tidal basin in 1785 by the Corporation of Liverpool for local barge traffic from south Lancashire and Cheshire, an entrance lock was added in about 1807 to enable vessels to load and unload, whatever the tide. The south wall of the tidal Chester Basin, constructed in 1795, also lay within the site. In 2007, excavation by archaeologists from National Museums Liverpool revealed the quaysides between the two docks and the dock infrastructure, including the lock gates and sandstone walls of Manchester Dock along with its lock gate mechanism and sluices, all in an excellent state of preservation.
The excavation also found brick foundations of 19th-century warehouses, along with cobbled surfaces and roadways. Two subterranean chambers to the northwest of the lock were probably part of the hydraulic system used to power cranes and other plant situated within the dock. The well-preserved remains of an engine house were situated on the Manchester l s Liverpoo l Museum
: Trustees of Nationa