8 SEPTEMBER 28 2011 motorsport-news.co.uk
Classified advertising: 0208 267 5355
F1 ROUND UP
Rubens not rattled Formula One veteran Rubens Barrichello says he is not concerned about Kimi Räikkönen’s recent visit to the Williams factory, prompting speculation about the Finn’s immediate future. Williams has not confirmed the exact reason for the former champion’s visit, but Barrichello said: “Right now is a big time for rumours and there is no point [in talking about it],” said the veteran.
‘NEED A LIFT, CLINT?...’
NASCAR man Bowyer left with a long walk home after running out of fuel
Caterham is go It appears that Team Lotus will be able to change its name to Caterham next season, ending the long, drawn out and frankly boring saga with the Lotus Renault team. Team Lotus boss and new QPR owner Tony Fernandes is unlikely to face opposition from the majority of rival teams, whose agreement he needs to make the switch. Whether the 2012 car’s aerodynamics will resemble that of a brick is unknown.
Engine tie-up The team that will be known as Team Lotus (or Team Loftus or QPR or Caterham, delete as applicable) has agreed an extension of its Renault engine deal up until the end of 2013. It has also confirmed that it will continue to use Red Bull gearboxes, and will also use KERS for the first time in 2012.
Kerb the issue Track workers at Singapore were forced to work overnight to tweak the circuit after a number of kerbs worked loose during a support race practice session. The offending items at two corners were removed and kerbing was painted on instead – surely a simpler solution in the first place…?
Michael’s exit Departing Williams technical director SamMichael says he hopes to be able to take up his new post with McLaren before the end of the season. His contract says he was due to be on gardening leave until March 1, but he is hoping for a change of heart from his employers.
It’s just all fine Renault was fined 7500 euros (£6500) after the Singapore GP for wrongly informing Bruno Senna that he was racing Sergio Perez for position immediately after the mid-race safety car period. Senna was a full lap behind the Sauber at the time, but was directly behind him on the track.
Stewart (l) gained from Bowyer’s loss
DI RESTA WAITS ON 2012 DRIVE Scot in limbo over Force India plans despite superb Singapore run
ByMatt James Singapore Grand Prix sensation Paul di Resta faces a long wait to find out if he will stay with Force India next year, despite enjoying what he described as his best race of the season on Sunday.
probably mybest race of the season but it’s the result of all the hard work behind the scenes. We came here with an upgrade package that has allowed us to gain performance in the race and gain tyre life, and we saw the benefits of that.”
The Scot raced to sixth position on the streets of the city and it marked the most competitive of his five pointsscoring finishes in F1 to date. His points and those of eighth-placed team-mate Adrian Sutil have helped the team consolidate sixth place in the Constructors’ Championship standings. Despite that, the Silverstone-based team has said it will not determine its 2012 driver line up until December, leading to speculation about both drivers’ futures. Di Resta said: “My first Singapore Grand Prix was a lot of fun and I’m very happy with the outcome. The pace was strong. It’s
Scot wa its on 2012
Force India has said that it is prepared to wait to firm up its drivers for 2012, and that could mean that di Resta and Sutil are in limbo. Di Resta had been linked to a seat at Mercedes, but it seems that Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg will be retained for next season, leaving top-flight options looking limited.
Sutil rubbished rumours that he visited Williams recently, but the German said that he thinks both he and di Resta will keep their places in the team. “The team is very good here; it is doing a good performance. I know the team for a long time, so whatever I do I have to think twice if it is a good next step.”
Tyre picks got di Resta sixth spot
Arai is Japanese rallying hero
Rally star to try out tin-tops with Chevy Two-time Production world rally champion Toshi Arai will make his circuit racing debut when he lines up in a fourth works Chevrolet for the next rounds of the World Touring Car Championship at Suzuka in Japan.
The 45-year-old has already tested the car at Pembrey in south Wales ahead of the double-header with the team onOctober 23. He will line up alongside the team’s regular racers Rob Huff, Alain Menu and YvanMuller.
The Intercontinental Rally Challenge competitor said hewas happy to bemaking his bow in front of home fans.
“I was extremely pleased with the test,” said Arai. “The Cruze is pleasant to drive and very responsive, and the team is extremely professional.
“I amdelighted to have the opportunity to race myhome WTCCevent and to do it with Chevrolet. This will be a new experience for me, but the philosophy of WTCCandWRC Production cars is the same and I hope I can adapt quickly.”
MALVERN SECURES FORMULA FORD CROWN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PAGE 23
EVERY type of insurance that ANY person involved in Motorsport may require
ON TRACK - PERSONAL ACCIDENT - MOTORTRADE - COMMERCIAL - LIABILITY
www.raceinsurance.co.uk or call 01943 884555
Motorsport Insurance Services Limited is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority